Frequently Asked Questions


1. What documents should I bring in when I come to see you?
Bring your passport, driver’s license, any document you ever received from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and any other documents that you believe may help us understand your immigration goals.

2. How long do applications usually take to process?
Applications on average can take anywhere from 2 months to 2 years to process. The IRCC estimates processing times for specific applications.

3. How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent residence status?
Over a five year period, your time in Canada must add up to 2 years. There are some exceptions.

4. What is dual citizenship?
Dual citizenship means two countries recognize you as a citizen.

5. Do I become a Canadian citizen when I marry a Canadian?
No. Marriage cannot transfer citizenship to spouses. However, it may be possible for your spouse to sponsor you to gain legal immigration status.

6. If I have a work permit, can my spouse or common-law partner visit, work or study in Canada?
They cannot use your work permit but they can apply for an accompanying permit of their own to visit, study or work in Canada.

7. Can I apply to extend a work permit?
Yes. You can apply from within Canada if you apply before your work visa expires. Once the application is submitted, you will be allowed to stay in Canada until a decision is made even if your permit expires in the meantime.

8. What is an LMIA?
An LMIA is a Labour Market Impact Assessment. This is obtained by an employer before hiring a foreign worker. If you need one, your employer must submit an application. NL Immigration can assist an employer with this process.

9. I didn’t extend my study, work or visitor visa before it expired. Can I fix this problem?
Yes, you can apply for a new visa and restore your status if less than 90 days has passed since the original visa expired. If more than 90 days has passed, it is much more difficult to fix the problem.

10. Do I need an eTA or a visitor visa to come to Canada?
If you are from a country that does not require a visa to come to Canada, you are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or through Canada. If you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen you do not need either.

11. Do I need a visa to study in Canada?
Yes, you need a visa to study. Think of it as a two-step process: after you apply to the school for admittance, you need to apply to the government for permission to study in Canada.